I did the trekking with cliffhangers India twice. The services are awesome and the staff is quite qualified and trained. Apart from that they really have good packages of adventure travel across India.
Tarsar Marsar Trek
Tarsar Marsar Trek is arguably one of the best treks in India. It is unmatched in its scenic beauty and serenity in its ambiance. This trek is a traditional trek of Kashmir and is in vogue since 20th century. Generations have trekked this world famous trek that sits in the lap of luscious meadows and enchanting mountains. The campsites beside its glacier-fed lakes are other-wordly. The mountain chains are wide and long running parallel to the shimmering Lidder river.
It holds three alpine lakes: Tarsar, Marsar & Sundersar Lakes. All three lakes are unmatched in their beauty and are unique in their own ways. The view of Marsar, which is eternally shrouded in clouds that scatter around, from a cliff gives it a fascinating look. An almond shaped Tarsar Lake has a feel of divinity. It makes one forget about the world and its tantrums and takes one into the world of serenity and calmness.
Its grasslands are vast and lush. The shepherds dott them with thier flock & the mud houses that are cozily fit into the mountain sides make this magnificient.
The place holds religious significance, too, with saints and priests renouncing life (in old times) and going into this valley for meditation and peace. The water of Tarsar Lake forms the Lidder River.
Tarsar Marsar Trek Itinerary
Day 1 Srinagar – Aru
- Altitude: 2,436m
- Time taken:3.5 hours drive
Drive from Srinagar to Aru, on the way one sees famous Lidder and Jhelum Rivers. An overnight stay at Aru.
Day 2 Aru – Lidderwat
- Altitude: 2,377 m
- Time taken:6 hours
The trek begins from Aru. It’s a moderate trek with mild ascents and descents leading to a beautiful camping meadow, Lidderwat. The trek has a mix of both forests and meadows, and it runs parallel to the shimmering Lidder River.
Day 3 Lidderwat – Shekwas
- Altitude: 3,360 m
- Time taken:5 hours drive
This day of the trek is moderate. It has a gradual ascnet for about 2 hours with few flat surface trails. The trek offers Bakerwal shelters, meadows, many water streams where you can refill your water bottles. On this day the treks walks throug thick pine forestm crosses over water streams and has to cross a wooden bridge. En route one can find many nomad huts, one can have a tea there while taking a short rest.
Day 4 Shekwas – Tarsar Lake
- Altitude: 3,790 m
- Time taken:4 hours
The third day of the trek takes us near Tarsar Lake, an almond-shaped alpine lake. The lake is overlooked by mighty mountain peaks like Kolahoi peak. The trail passes through few ridges which give a bird’s view of the area around. Before reaching and camping near Tarsar Lake, one has to ford a stream strewn with boulders and rocks. The water of the lake is turquoise blue which is a delight to behold.
Day 5 Tarsar Lake – Sundersar
- Altitude: 3,945 m
- Time taken:5 hours
As one passes the Tarsar Pass, one sees a wide stretch of grassy land that leads to Sundersar. The lush green land soothes the eyes and has a serene feel. En route, one sees flocks of cattle grazing lazily against the background of stunning mountains and forest covers. The treat of this day is the stunning Sundersar Lake.
Day 6 Sundersar – Marsar – Homwas
- Altitude: 4020m
- Time taken:7 hours
The trail is tricky with some gradient. One reaches Marsar Lake, a twin-sister of Tarsar Lake. The Marsar Lake connects with Dachigam National Park and drains its waters through this park into Dal Lake. All along the trail, the views are scenic and pristine. An overnight stay at Homwas.
Day 7 Homwas – Aru – Srinagar
- Altitude: 3500m
- Time taken:6 hours
- This is the last day of the trek. It is a descent and goes via Lidderwat to Aru. The same day we drive to Srinagar for an overnight stay.
- Accommodation in tents/ homestays on twin sharing basis.
- Sleeping bags, Sleeping Mattresses, Toilet Tents & Kitchen Tents.
- Daily meals (Breakfast Lunch and Dinner).
- Passes and Permits.
- Load ferrying.
- Basic Medical / First Aid Kit.
- Staff (Trek Leaders, Cooks and Helpers).
- Expenses of personal nature like Laundry, Phone Calls, Alcohol, Cigarettes, Camera Fee, and Bottled Water etc
- Travel Insurance and other Emergency Expenses.
Best time to do Tarsar Marsar Trek
- The best time to do this trek is from June to September.
How to reach the Base Camp
- After landing in Srinagar, the cab from Cliffhangers India will ferry you to the base camp situated near Pahalgam.
Safety and Expertise
- Tarsar Marsar Trek is an easy trek. There is no technical climbing or advanced mountaineering involved. It is recommended for all age groups.
Things to Carry
- Backpack & rain cover, trekking shoes preferably high-ankle one, day pack to carry on-the-trek essentials like a lunch box, water bottle, sunglasses, sunscreen, protein bars etc, headlamp/torch, trekking pole, personal medical kit.
- Thermals, fleece jacket, down feather jacket, waterproof pants, sun cap, woollen cap: toiletries: sunscreen, lip balm, toilet paper, hand sanitizer, toothbrush & toothpaste, hand towel, sanitary napkins etc.
Terms & Conditions:
Please read the below-mentioned policies carefully before finishing your booking with us.
1. Cancellation policy
- Cancellation of any expedition/trek/tour must be notified immediately in writing. The cancellation process will be initiated only after receiving a cancellation mail from your end.
- For any cancellation requested 40 days prior to the first day of any expedition/trek/tour, the full amount will be refunded with 10% of the amount deducted as processing fee.
- For any cancellation requested between 40 to 30 days prior to the first day of expedition/trek/tour, only 50% of the amount will be refunded without any processing fee deduction. If cancellation is requested 30 days prior to the first day of expedition/trek/tour, there will be no refund.
- The rates/fees for the trek once decided will remain the same; however, if the group size is trimmed from the client end, the rates/fees may vary. In case of any untoward situation like a natural disaster, national emergency, terrorist activity, adverse weather conditions or any other unforeseen situations, the refund may or may not be entertained which will solely be upon Cliffhangers to decide. However, there will be no cash refund. The clients will get the voucher which they can redeem anytime for another trek/trip of their own choice organised by Cliffhangers India.
2. Medical Fitness
- Please get a recommendation from a registered medical officer/institute; getting a medical certificate is a must before embarking on an expedition/trekking. If you suffer from a severe lung/heart/muscle disorders or any disease that can turn fatal, you are advised not to take any expedition/trekking with us.
- In case you lack the required fitness, or are suffering from diseases that have the potential of becoming fatal in the mountains/ high altitude, Cliffhangers reserves the right to bar your participation from any expedition/trekking without any refund/compensation.
3. Travel Insurance
- You are advised to have a travel insurance cover. Our prices/fees don’t cover insurance or any other travel cover. Your travel insurance must cover accidents, injury, illness, and death medical expenses including any related to pre-existing medical conditions, emergency repatriation including helicopter rescue and air ambulance where applicable and personal liability.
4. Promotional Material
- Cliffhangers India reserves the right to take photographs/videos of participants and use them for any marketing/promotional activity. Any objection should be sent in writing before the commencement of any expedition/trek with us.
5. Identity Proof
- Please carry a valid Identity Proof. A valid passport and visa for all the tourists from outside India, and for Indians a valid identity proof preferably Aadhaar Card.
6. Environment Consciousness
- Please keep the environment-cleanliness strictly into consideration. Any behaviour/activity that is averse/harmful to environment conservation is strictly prohibited. You are recommended to avoid carrying any non-biodegradable items during the expedition/trek/tour; in case it’s a medical or other necessity, please dispose of them off properly (dustbins) after the expedition/trek is over.
- Cutting a tree/plant, killing/injuring any animal, polluting water bodies/glaciers will prompt legal action. Please refrain yourself from harming any plant/animal or water body.
We had an absolutely fantastic time in Kashmir and will definitely be recommending your company to our friends and family. Your guides, hotels, restaurants for lunch and the trip was well organised and a real pleasure. See you Again . Very happy with your hospitality.
If you are looking for Kashmir Great Lakes trek options, then you can blindly choose Cliffhangers India. They are educated, trained and experienced in what they do and they make sure you get everything you want and make your trek unforgettable experience.
We went to Kashmir Great Lakes Trek with Cliffhangers India. The arrangements were fantastic with great people to guide. Highly recommended!!
I wanted to visit the lesser-explored landscapes in Kashmir valley. I was looking for long trails which can take me through beautiful river streams and mountains. Understanding these requirements of mine, Cliffhangers India offered me the trail. I must say, if you are a traveller who loves to gain different perspectives about the landscapes, people and culture, must take a tour to Kashmir valley with this young and passionate team of Cliffhangers India. The number of cautions was followed for personal safety and the eco-friendly trail was brilliant feature. I am a solo traveller and this was first time I traveled with any organizer, totally worth it.