Barfsar Lake Trek
This trek starts from the last village of Kashmir Valley which lies towards the north-east. The village is famous for porters that take devotees to the holy Amaranth cave. The trek has three alpine lakes on its route, and one being Barfsar Lake – the highest altitude (4605m) lake in Kashmir. On the way, one experiences two alpine meadows, Kolahoi Pass (highest in Sind valley), eight technical cliffs, six glacier beds and Thajwas wildlife sanctuary. Barfsar Trek has a unique blend of lakes, meadows, snow-clad mountain peaks and wildlife sanctuary.
Best time to do Frozen Lake Trek
- The best time to do this trek is in from June to September.
How to reach the Base Camp
- After landing in Srinagar, the cab from Cliffhangers India will ferry you to the base camp situated near Sonamarg.
Safety and Expertise:
- Barfsar Trek is a moderate trek. It requires some trekking experience and a fair fitness level. There is no technical climbing or advanced mountaineering involved. Someone with zeal to see the highest altitude lake of Kashmir and a good fitness level is best to do this trek.
Things to Carry:
- Backpack & rain cover, trekking shoes preferably high-ankle one, day pack to carry on-the-trek essentials like a lunch box, water bottle, sunglasses, sunscreen, protein bars etc, headlamp/torch, trekking pole, personal medical kit.
- Thermals, fleece jacket, down feather jacket, waterproof pants, sun cap, woollen cap: toiletries: sunscreen, lip balm, toilet paper, hand sanitizer, toothbrush & toothpaste, hand towel, sanitary napkins etc.
Terms & Conditions:
Please read the below-mentioned policies carefully before finishing your booking with us.
1. Cancellation policy
- Cancellation of any expedition/trek/tour must be notified immediately in writing. The cancellation process will be initiated only after receiving a cancellation mail from your end.
- For any cancellation requested 40 days prior to the first day of any expedition/trek/tour, the full amount will be refunded with 10% of the amount deducted as processing fee.
- For any cancellation requested between 40 to 30 days prior to the first day of expedition/trek/tour, only 50% of the amount will be refunded without any processing fee deduction. If cancellation is requested 30 days prior to the first day of expedition/trek/tour, there will be no refund.
- The rates/fees for the trek once decided will remain the same; however, if the group size is trimmed from the client end, the rates/fees may vary. In case of any untoward situation like a natural disaster, national emergency, terrorist activity, adverse weather conditions or any other unforeseen situations, the refund may or may not be entertained which will solely be upon Cliffhangers to decide. However, there will be no cash refund. The clients will get the voucher which they can redeem anytime for another trek/trip of their own choice organised by Cliffhangers India.
2. Medical Fitness
- Please get a recommendation from a registered medical officer/institute; getting a medical certificate is a must before embarking on an expedition/trekking. If you suffer from a severe lung/heart/muscle disorders or any disease that can turn fatal, you are advised not to take any expedition/trekking with us.
- In case you lack the required fitness, or are suffering from diseases that have the potential of becoming fatal in the mountains/ high altitude, Cliffhangers reserves the right to bar your participation from any expedition/trekking without any refund/compensation.
3. Travel Insurance
- You are advised to have a travel insurance cover. Our prices/fees don’t cover insurance or any other travel cover. Your travel insurance must cover accidents, injury, illness, and death medical expenses including any related to pre-existing medical conditions, emergency repatriation including helicopter rescue and air ambulance where applicable and personal liability.
4. Promotional Material
- Cliffhangers India reserves the right to take photographs/videos of participants and use them for any marketing/promotional activity. Any objection should be sent in writing before the commencement of any expedition/trek with us.
5. Identity Proof
- Please carry a valid Identity Proof. A valid passport and visa for all the tourists from outside India, and for Indians a valid identity proof preferably Aadhaar Card.
6. Environment Consciousness
- Please keep the environment cleanliness strictly into consideration. Any behaviour/activity that is averse/harmful to environment conservation is strictly prohibited. You are recommended to avoid carrying any non-biodegradable items during the expedition/trek/tour; in case it’s a medical or other necessity, please dispose of them off properly (dustbins) after the expedition/trek is over.
- Cutting a tree/plant, killing/injuring any animal, polluting water bodies/glaciers will prompt legal action. Please refrain yourself from harming any plant/animal or water body.
We drive from Srinagar to Sarbal Village and load packs on ponies for a three-hour trek to Durinar Meadow. This meadow is surrounded by towering cliffs and flowing glaciers on two sides. Shepherds could be seen surrounding the meadow with their sheep and goats.
We start an early morning trek that will take us to Durinar Lake, a crystal blue lake harboured in a giant granite rock. We pitch our tents at a location that serves as summit camp for two wonderful alpine peaks, Mount Innominate and Crystal Peak and a trail to Kolahoi Pass.
We trek further up to view Sapphire Lake (4270m alt) and Barfsar Lake (4605m), and then push further 355 meters throgh rocky terrain. To the extreme right, we will find Mount Valehead and Kazim ridge on the left side. We descend back to Durinar Camp for an overnight stay.
We descend back through the same route. Finally, the Golden Meadow will welcome us and we will drive to Sonamarg to stay overnight in a Hotel.
End of Barafsar Trek