Mount Valehead Expedition
Mount Valehead lies in the Tharjwas Mountian Range and is considered one of the doable summits in Kashmir Himalayas. The peak stands at an altitude of 4750 m. The peak was first scaled between 1933 and 1945 by John A Jackson (chief instructor of mountaineering centre at Sonamarg) via Thajwas route which is considered the toughest route to scale this peak. However, a team of Cliffhangers India scaled the peak via its southern route, the first of its kind.
How to reach the base camp
- After landing in Srinagar, the cab from Cliffhangers India will ferry you to the base camp situated near Baltal, Sonamarg.
Things to Carry:
- Backpack & rain cover, trekking shoes preferably high-ankle one, day pack to carry on-the-trek essentials like a lunch box, water bottle, sunglasses, sunscreen, protein bars etc, headlamp/torch, trekking pole, personal medical kit.
- Thermals, fleece jacket, down feather jacket, waterproof pants, sun cap, woollen cap: toiletries: sunscreen, lip balm, toilet paper, hand sanitizer, toothbrush & toothpaste, hand towel, sanitary napkins etc.
Terms & Conditions
Please read the below-mentioned policies carefully before finishing your booking with us.
1. Cancellation policy
- Cancellation of any expedition/trek/tour must be notified immediately in writing. The cancellation process will be initiated only after receiving a cancellation mail from your end.
- For any cancellation requested 40 days prior to the first day of any expedition/trek/tour, the full amount will be refunded with 10% of the amount deducted as processing fee.
- For any cancellation requested between 40 to 30 days prior to the first day of expedition/trek/tour, only 50% of the amount will be refunded without any processing fee deduction. If cancellation is requested 30 days prior to the first day of expedition/trek/tour, there will be no refund.
- The rates/fees for the trek once decided will remain the same; however, if the group size is trimmed from the client end, the rates/fees may vary.
- In case of any untoward situation like a natural disaster, national emergency, terrorist activity, adverse weather conditions or any other unforeseen situations, the refund may or may not be entertained which will solely be upon Cliffhangers India to decide. However, there will be no cash refund. The clients will get the voucher which they can redeem anytime for another trek/trip of their own choice organised by Cliffhangers India.
2. Medical Fitness
- Please get a recommendation from a registered medical officer/institute; getting a medical certificate is a must before embarking on an expedition/trekking. If you suffer from a severe lung/heart/muscle disorders or any disease that can turn fatal, you are advised not to take any expedition/trekking with us.
- In case you lack the required fitness, or are suffering from diseases that have the potential of becoming fatal in the mountains/ high altitude, Cliffhangers reserves the right to bar your participation from any expedition/trekking without any refund/compensation.
3. Travel Insurance
- You are advised to have a travel insurance cover. Our prices/fees don’t cover insurance or any other travel cover. Your travel insurance must cover accidents, injury, illness, and death medical expenses including any related to pre-existing medical conditions, emergency repatriation including helicopter rescue and air ambulance where applicable and personal liability.
4. Promotional Material
- Cliffhangers India reserves the right to take photographs/videos of participants and use them for any marketing/promotional activity. Any objection should be sent in writing before the commencement of any expedition/trek with us.
5. Identity Proof
- Please carry a valid Identity Proof. A valid passport and visa for all the tourists from outside India, and for Indians a valid identity proof preferably Aadhaar Card.
6. Environment Consciousness
- Please keep the environment cleanliness strictly into consideration. Any behaviour/activity that is averse/harmful to environment conservation is strictly prohibited.
- You are recommended to avoid carrying any non-biodegradable items during the expedition/trek/tour; in case it’s a medical or other necessity, please dispose of them off properly (dustbins) after the expedition/trek is over.
- Cutting a tree/plant, killing/injuring any animal, polluting water bodies/glaciers will prompt legal action. Please refrain yourself from harming any plant/animal or water body.
The first day of this expedition starts with the trek towards Durinar Meadow (3550m alt) that rests below the famous Kolahoi Pass. The trek towards Durinar meadow is an ascend that takes around 3 hours to finish. Enjoy the breathtaking view of the mountains that surround Durinar. Relax and stay overnight in the camps.
The second day of the trek has a steep ascend that takes to the Durniar Lake (4171m alt). It takes around four hours to reach the lake. The base camp here nearby the lake serves as the starting point for the summit of Mount Vale head and other peaks like Mount Innominate and Mount Umbrella.
This day is the summit day. Scale the peak which stands at an altitude of 4750m. Standing at the peak gives the panoramic view of the mountain peaks that surround it.
This day descend back via the same route to the base camp at Sarbal Village.
Note: The summit day sometimes consumes two days depending upon the weather conditions. If the weather is rough one might have to wait a day to get the clear weather window which is required for the summit.
- Accommodation in tents/ homestays on twin sharing basis.
- Sleeping bags, Sleeping Mattresses, Toilet Tents & Kitchen Tents.
- Daily meals (Breakfast Lunch and Dinner).
- Passes and Permits.
- Load ferrying.
- Basic Medical / First Aid Kit.
- Staff (Trek Leaders, Cooks and Helpers).
- Expenses of personal nature like Laundry, Phone Calls, Alcohol, Cigarettes, Camera Fee, and Bottled Water etc
- Travel Insurance and other Emergency Expenses