Skiing in Gulmarg Kashmir
Skiing in Gulmarg Kashmir is a lifetime experience with thrilling back country winding through pine trees, open alpine bowls and virgin peaks. Gulmarg ski is at one of the highest altitudes in the world reaching 3,979 meters in two phases. The first phase is from Gulmarg at 2,600m to Kongdoori at 3,080m. The second phase which has 36 cabins and 18 towers takes passengers to a height of 3,979m on the Apharwat Peak. A chair lift system connects Kongdoori with Mary’s shoulder at 3400m for taking skiers to Alpine.
The snow quality in Gulmarg is absolutely unique due to its high altitude plus the very southern exposure of the continent on around 35° degrees latitude. The seasonal snowfall in Gulmarg is almost double than Alps in Europe.
Skiing in Gulmarg is safe and guided by well-trained patrolling teams. Gulmarg ski patrol is a team of Avalanche Forecasters and well-trained Ski guides with brilliance in timely rescue. Ski patrol updates daily snow forecast and avalanche advisories, which adds safety to Gulmarg skiing.
Apart from Gulmarg, Cliffhangers India organizes ski expeditions and ski mountaineering expeditions in other mountains of Kashmir Himalayas (like Sonamarg) under the guidance of highly advanced ski guides and mountaineers.
- The first day of the trip goes with travel. Drive from Srinagar to Gulmarg and see the fascinating mountains enticing you en route. It is an uphill drive mostly from Tangmarg, a small village from which Gulmarg mountain range can be viewed. Once you reach Gulmarg, take some rest and some food before going for acclimatization walk around Gulmarg to get you familiar with the place and altitude.
- This is the first day of the skiing course. Get yourself in the skiing gear and the trainer will take up onto the baby slope. The course starts with balancing on ski and beginning to ski slowly. The next session of the day will include short ski runs to snowplow.
- On this day of the ski course, the trainer will make you repeat the previous day’s ski runs and snowplowing technique. Then snowplow turns will be added to the day.
- Practice what you have learnt so far with stress given on increasing the ski speed. This day you will learn how to balance parallel ski position and then snowplow.
- Practice the parallel ski runs and parallel turns.
- Practice skiing. In the afternoon of this day, skiers will be taken to the first phase from the baby phase. They will practice to ski from a bit higher slope.
- Practice all day skiing in the first phase. This marks the end of the ski course; in the same evening, you will be driven to Srinagar for an overnight stay. The stay cost of this night will not be included in the ski package.
End of Ski course in Kashmir
- Transportation for all days, including pick and drop services to the airport.
- Breakfast & Dinner
- Skii Equipments
- Passes, Permits & Ski Lifts.
- Ski Instructor
- Hotel Stay
- Daily personal expenses
- Camera fee
- Travel insurance
- Alcohol and other beverages.
- Anything not included in the inclusions