Tarsar Sonmos Trek
Tarsar Sonmos is a famous world trek to two beautiful alpine lakes which have been popular since the 20th century. Some people have visited them over three generations and the waters of Tarsar lake flow in the famous lifeline of Kashmir- the Lidder river.
Best Time to Visit Tarsar Sonmos Trek
- Tarsar Sonmos Trek is a summer trek. Once the sun is shining, the greenery of the meadows and mountains, the splashes of rain and the gushing of water streams makes this trek a lifetime trek.
How to reach the base camp
- Once you land in Srinagar, a cab will take you to Sumbal which serves as the starting point of this trek.
Safety and Expertise
- Tarsar Marsar Trek is a beginner’s trek recommended for beginners and experts alike. This trek does not require any mountaineering credentials or expertise and is safe for all age groups.
Things to Carry:
- Backpack & rain cover, trekking shoes preferably high-ankle one, day pack to carry on-the-trek essentials like a lunch box, water bottle, sunglasses, sunscreen, protein bars etc, headlamp/torch, trekking pole, personal medical kit.
- Thermals, fleece jacket, down feather jacket, waterproof pants, sun cap, woollen cap: toiletries: sunscreen, lip balm, toilet paper, hand sanitizer, toothbrush & toothpaste, hand towel, sanitary napkins etc.
Terms & Conditions:
Please read the below-mentioned policies carefully before finishing your booking with us.
1. Cancellation policy
- Cancellation of any expedition/trek/tour must be notified immediately in writing. The cancellation process will be initiated only after receiving a cancellation mail from your end.
- For any cancellation requested 40 days prior to the first day of any expedition/trek/tour, the full amount will be refunded with 10% of the amount deducted as processing fee.
- For any cancellation requested between 40 to 30 days prior to the first day of expedition/trek/tour, only 50% of the amount will be refunded without any processing fee deduction. If cancellation is requested 30 days prior to the first day of expedition/trek/tour, there will be no refund.
- The rates/fees for the trek once decided will remain the same; however, if the group size is trimmed from the client end, the rates/fees may vary. In case of any untoward situation like a natural disaster, national emergency, terrorist activity, adverse weather conditions or any other unforeseen situations, the refund may or may not be entertained which will solely be upon Cliffhangers to decide. However, there will be no cash refund. The clients will get the voucher which they can redeem anytime for another trek/trip of their own choice organised by Cliffhangers India.
2. Medical Fitness
- Please get a recommendation from a registered medical officer/institute; getting a medical certificate is a must before embarking on an expedition/trekking. If you suffer from a severe lung/heart/muscle disorders or any disease that can turn fatal, you are advised not to take any expedition/trekking with us.
- In case you lack the required fitness, or are suffering from diseases that have the potential of becoming fatal in the mountains/ high altitude, Cliffhangers reserves the right to bar your participation from any expedition/trekking without any refund/compensation.
3. Travel Insurance
- You are advised to have a travel insurance cover. Our prices/fees don’t cover insurance or any other travel cover. Your travel insurance must cover accidents, injury, illness, and death medical expenses including any related to pre-existing medical conditions, emergency repatriation including helicopter rescue and air ambulance where applicable and personal liability.
4. Promotional Material
- Cliffhangers India reserves the right to take photographs/videos of participants and use them for any marketing/promotional activity. Any objection should be sent in writing before the commencement of any expedition/trek with us.
5. Identity Proof
- Please carry a valid Identity Proof. A valid passport and visa for all the tourists from outside India, and for Indians a valid identity proof preferably Aadhaar Card.
6. Environment Consciousness
- Please keep the environment cleanliness strictly into consideration. Any behaviour/activity that is averse/harmful to environment conservation is strictly prohibited. You are recommended to avoid carrying any non-biodegradable items during the expedition/trek/tour; in case it’s a medical or other necessity, please dispose of them off properly (dustbins) after the expedition/trek is over.
- Cutting a tree/plant, killing/injuring any animal, polluting water bodies/glaciers will prompt legal action. Please refrain yourself from harming any plant/animal or water body.
Day 1 Sumbal—Sonmasti (5 hours)
After breakfast, we pack our load on horses and trek deep into Sindh valley uphill enjoying the shady forests groves and gushing brooks lush landscape of flowers and trees. Overnight stay in a tented camp.
Day 2 Sonmasti – Marsar – Sundersar (5 hours trek)
We start early through the lush green alpines to reach Marsar valley and its majestic Tarn. We will ascend further to reach Sundersar Lake, where we establish a camp for overnight stay.
Day 3 Sundersar – Tarsar Lake (4 hours trek)
We start early after breakfast and ascend a steep ridge to reach a world-famous Tarsar Lake, an almond-shaped crystal clear lake surrounded by alpine flowers and meadows. We pitch our tents for an overnight stay.
Day 4 Tarsar – Shekwas (4.5 hours trek)
We start to descend through meadows to reach Sekiwas, where we meet shepherds with their herds. We camp at Shekwas for an overnight stay.
Day 5 Shekwas – Lidderwat (4 hours trek)
Steady descend walk following the majestic Lidder Stream we camp at Lidderwat the namesake for Lidder river here is a confluence of two streams. Overnight Stay. Steady descend walk following the majestic Lidder Stream we camp at Lidderwat the namesake for Lidder river here is a confluence of two streams. Overnight Stay.
Day 6 Lidderwat – Aru (3 hours trek)
On this day we trek down to a beautiful Aru valley and take our car back to Srinagar through Pahalgam. In a 3 hours drive, we reach our houseboat for an overnight stay.
Tarsar Sonmos Trek Ends Here
- Accommodation in tents/ homestays on twin sharing basis.
- Sleeping bags, Sleeping Mattresses, Toilet Tents & Kitchen Tents.
- Daily meals (Breakfast Lunch and Dinner).
- Passes and Permits.
- Load ferrying.
- Basic Medical / First Aid Kit.
- Staff (Trek Leaders, Cooks and Helpers).
- Expenses of personal nature like Laundry, Phone Calls, Alcohol, Cigarettes, Camera Fee, and Bottled Water etc
- Travel Insurance and other Emergency Expenses