I did the trekking with cliffhangers India twice. The services are awesome and the staff is quite qualified and trained. Apart from that they really have good packages of adventure travel across India.
Kashmir Great Lakes Trek
Kashmir Great Lakes Trek is undoubtly the best trek in India. It is pristine and beautiful.This trek has 11 alpine lakes and has Gangbal Lake (the largest alpine lake of Kashmir) on its trail. This trek is nothing short of a lifetime experience: walking on the lush green meadows, seeing flocks of sheep dotting them; trekking parallel to the canals and rivulets that originate from snow-capped mountains and waking up in the morning to see the clouds drifting around your camps. On the way, one gets to see Mount Harmukh, Gadsar peak, Mount Vishu and varied Himalayan animals like Common Leopard, Himalayan Marmot, Black Bear and many wildflowers and birds. The enchanting beauty of the trek is such that one ascends 11000ft without realising it.
Duration: 7D/6N Distance: 82km Grade: Moderate Max. Altitude: 4200m Main Attractions: Gangbal Lake, Gadsar Lake, Mount Harmukh, Satsar Meadow
Fixed Departure 2020: July: 11, 12, 18, 19, 25, 26 || August: 1, 2, 8, 9, 16, 22, 23 || September: 5, 12, 19, 26
Kashmir Great Lakes Trek Itinerary
Day 1 Srinagar to Sonamarg
- Altitude: 2,377 m
- Time taken:3 hours drive
- Drive from Srinagar to the base camp at Sonamarg. At Sonamarg, afternoon acclimatization walk.
Day 2 Sonamarg to Nichnai
- Altitude: 3,505 m
- Time taken: 6.5 hours, 9 kms
- A gradual ascent takes us into the valley of Nichnai via famous tabletop that gives a· panoramic view of a chain of mountains that include Thajwas Mountain range and Bear Valley. The Nichnai Valley is known as the valley of wildflowers. We camp in the flowery meadows of Nichnai.
Day 3 Nichnai to Kishansar/Vishansar Valley
- Altitude: 3,650 m
- Time: 5.5 hours, 13 kms
- We ascend into the Kishansar/Vishansar Valley—a beautiful valley with two lakes resting soothingly before two lofty mountain peaks. The lakes abound with colourful trout fish. Both of these lakes have a religious significance and they drain into Kishanganga River that meanders through Gurez valley.
Day 4 Kishansar/Vishansar Valley to Gadsar
- Altitude: 4200m
- Time taken:6 hours, 14 kms
- We enter into the Gadsar Valley over Gadsar pass. The pass gives a wide view of both Kishansar/Vishansar valley on one side and the Gadsar valley on the other. Enchant yourself with long wavy meadows dotted with multi-coloured flowers.
- The Gadsar Valley is famous for its lake and sinking watersand. We pitch the tents beside a shimmering canal that comes out of the Gadsar Lake. Legends say the water and fish from the Gadsar Lake have healing powers.
Day 5 Gadsar to Satsar
- Altitude: 3,600 m
- Time taken: 5 hours, 12 kms
- On the fifth day of the trek, the trail becomes mild and relaxing with a repetition· of mild ascents and descents through large meadows that stretch along a succession of a fascinating mountain range. The Satsar valley holds seven alpine lakes; we camp for the night beside one of the canals that snake around this valley.
Day 6 Satsar to Gangbal
- Altitude: 3,587 m
- Time taken:5 hours, 9 kms
- The sixth day takes us over the Zajibal pass. The pass cuts the Satsar Valley and Gangbal valley. We cover a mild gradient that leads us to the Nundkol Lake lying judiciously at· the foot of Harmukh. The Harmukh, the lake and the reflection of the Harmukh in the lake make it majestic.
Day 7 Gangabal to Naranag
- Altitude: 2,271 m
- Time taken: 6.5 hours, 13 kms
- On the last day of the trek, we descend into the Naranag valley. The same day we will drive to Srinagar for the night stay.
- Accommodation in tents/ homestays on twin sharing basis.
- Sleeping bags, Sleeping Mattresses, Toilet Tents & Kitchen Tents.
- Daily meals (Breakfast Lunch and Dinner).
- Passes and Permits.
- Load ferrying.
- Basic Medical / First Aid Kit.
- Staff (Trek Leaders, Cooks and Helpers).
- Expenses of personal nature like Laundry, Phone Calls, Alcohol, Cigarettes, Camera Fee, and Bottled Water etc
- Travel Insurance and other Emergency Expenses
Best Time to Visit Kashmir Great Lakes Trek
- Kashmir Great Lakes Trek is best done in the summer season. The lush meadows, lofty peaks and shimmering brooks make this trek a memorable trek for life.
How to reach the Base Camp
- Once you land in Srinagar, the cab will take you to the Sonamarg Base Camp which serves as the starting point of the trek.
Safety and Expertise
- Kashmir Great Lakes Trek is an easy to moderate trek. This trek does not require any mountaineering expertise or any trekking credentials. This trek is safe for all age-groups.
Things to Carry
- Backpack & rain cover, trekking shoes preferably high-ankle one, day pack to carry on-the-trek essentials like a lunch box, water bottle, sunglasses, sunscreen, protein bars etc, headlamp/torch, trekking pole, personal medical kit.
- Thermals, fleece jacket, down feather jacket, waterproof pants, sun cap, woollen cap: toiletries: sunscreen, lip balm, toilet paper, hand sanitizer, toothbrush & toothpaste, hand towel, sanitary napkins etc.
Terms & Conditions
Please read the below-mentioned policies carefully before finishing your booking with us.
1. Cancellation policy
- Cancellation of any expedition/trek/tour must be notified immediately in writing. The cancellation process will be initiated only after receiving a cancellation mail from your end.
- For any cancellation requested 40 days prior to the first day of any expedition/trek/tour, full amount will be refunded with 10% of the amount deducted as processing fee.
- For any cancellation requested between 40 to 30 days prior to the first day of expedition/trek/tour, only 50% of the amount will be refunded without any processing fee deduction. If cancellation is requested 30 days prior to the first day of expedition/trek/tour, there will be no refund.
- The rates/fees for the trek once decided will remain the same; however, if the group size is trimmed from the client end, the rates/fees may vary.
- In case of any untoward situation like a natural disaster, national emergency, terrorist activity, adverse weather conditions or any other unforeseen situations, the refund may or may not be entertained which will solely be upon Cliffhangers India to decide. However, there will be no cash refund. The clients will get the voucher which they can redeem anytime for another trek/trip of their own choice organised by Cliffhangers India.
2. Medical Fitness
- Please get a recommendation from a registered medical officer/institute; getting a medical certificate is a must before embarking on an expedition/trekking. If you suffer from a severe lung/heart/muscle disorders or any disease that can turn fatal, you are advised not to take any expedition/trekking with us.
- In case you lack the required fitness, or are suffering from diseases that have the potential of becoming fatal in the mountains/ high altitude, Cliffhangers reserves the right to bar your participation from any expedition/trekking without any refund/compensation.
3. Travel Insurance
- You are advised to have a travel insurance cover. Our prices/fees don’t cover insurance or any other travel cover. Your travel insurance must cover accidents, injury, illness, and death medical expenses including any related to pre-existing medical conditions, emergency repatriation including helicopter rescue and air ambulance where applicable and personal liability.
4. Promotional Material
- Cliffhangers India reserves the right to take photographs/videos of participants and use them for any marketing/promotional activity. Any objection should be sent in writing before the commencement of any expedition/trek with us.
5. Identity Proof
- Please carry a valid Identity Proof. A valid passport and visa for all the tourists from outside India, and for Indians a valid identity proof preferably Aadhaar Card.
6. Environment Consciousness
- Please keep the environment cleanliness strictly into consideration. Any behaviour/activity that is averse/harmful to environment conservation is strictly prohibited.
- You are recommended to avoid carrying any non-biodegradable items during the expedition/trek/tour; in case it’s a medical or other necessity, please dispose of them off properly (dustbins) after the expedition/trek is over.
- Cutting a tree/plant, killing/injuring any animal, polluting water bodies/glaciers will prompt legal action. Please refrain yourself from harming any plant/animal or water body.
Kashmir Great Lakes Trek Blogs: A Complete Guide
Kashmir Great Lakes Trek is not a difficult trek but an easy to moderate trek. The trek trail is in the Sonamarg area of Kashmir. The trek reaches the highest altitude of 4150m at Gadsar Pass and has a mix of both ascends and descends. However the altitude gain is gradual that allows the trekkers to acclimatize easily. If the trek starts from Sonamarg then it is on the 4th day that one reaches the highest altitude of this trek which gives enough time and distance for the trekker to adjust with the altitude. Another reason what makes this trek easy is the duration it takes to finish this trek. It is completed in 7 days.
Read the complete blog here: https://cliffhangersindia.com/how-difficult-is-kashmir-great-lakes-trek/
If you want to go for Kashmir Great Lakes trek then this post is a must-read for you. The information has been gathered by doing Kashmir Great Lakes Trek over a dozen times. Kashmir Great Lakes Trek is the most pristine and beautiful trek in India. Starting at Kashmir Valley’s Sonamarg area, this trek usually takes 7 days with an average of five-hour daily trek. It in totality offers a bouquet of 11 large alpine lakes surrounded by wavy meadows and snow-peaked mountains. This trek is nothing short of a lifetime experience.
Read the complete blog here: https://cliffhangersindia.com/kashmir-great-lakes-trek-a-complete-guide-2020/
Kashmir Great Lakes Trek, let’s us admit, is versatile. It is scenic and has variations in natural beauty. This trek offers not only mountains but meadows and lakes too. The meadows are both wavy and flat. It holds Kashmir’s largest alpine lake – Gangbal Lake. It has breathtaking, snow-clad mountains and en route gives a view of some of the best peaks of Kashmir. One of the best features of Kashmir Great Lakes Trek is that it is a combination of different valleys.
Read the complete blog here: https://cliffhangersindia.com/kashmir-great-lakes-trek-connecting-valleys/
Kashmir Great Lakes Trek has many attractions. It is scenic enough to qualify for the best trek in India. Unlike other treks in India, this trek holds unparalleled variations in beauty and landscape. It welcomes the trekkers with a bouquet of around a dozen alpine lakes, lush green meadows, snow-capped mountains, different valleys and varied Himalayan Wildlife. This trek is, as is said, the crown of trekking in Kashmir. Trekking in India is incomplete without Kashmir Great Lakes Trek.
Read the complete blog here: https://cliffhangersindia.com/why-kashmir-great-lakes-trek/
Kashmir Great Lakes Trek has caught the imagination of generations. Before this trek was in vogue throughout India, it had held the local population’s interest thereby leading to different legends and myths. There is a story about every mountain peak and lake that this trek has, some of them are so fascinating that people visit this trail to debunk or get assured of them.
Kashmir is shrouded with mythology. Even its origin has a story. As per Hindu mythology, Kashmir was a big lake which was de-watered by Kashyapa, son of Brahma the creator god.
Read the complete blog here: https://cliffhangersindia.com/kashmir-great-lakes-trek-myths-and-legends/
Many trekkers are apprehensive in taking Kashmir Great Lakes Trek Solo. They are in fact quite worrisome when it comes to trekking in Kashmir. However, en route this trek there will be many solo trekkers that you will meet. This trek is absolutely safe for solo trekkers as any safe trek can be. It has no threatening wildlife, no thick and dark forest and a clear trek trail that any trekker can safely follow. On the way one sees abundance of water and grassland and enough open space for camping and relaxing.
Read the complete blog here: https://cliffhangersindia.com/kashmir-great-lakes-trek-solo/
We had an absolutely fantastic time in Kashmir and will definitely be recommending your company to our friends and family. Your guides, hotels, restaurants for lunch and the trip was well organised and a real pleasure. See you Again . Very happy with your hospitality.
If you are looking for Kashmir Great Lakes trek options, then you can blindly choose Cliffhangers India. They are educated, trained and experienced in what they do and they make sure you get everything you want and make your trek unforgettable experience.
We went to Kashmir Great Lakes Trek with Cliffhangers India. The arrangements were fantastic with great people to guide. Highly recommended!!
I wanted to visit the lesser-explored landscapes in Kashmir valley. I was looking for long trails which can take me through beautiful river streams and mountains. Understanding these requirements of mine, Cliffhangers India offered me the trail. I must say, if you are a traveller who loves to gain different perspectives about the landscapes, people and culture, must take a tour to Kashmir valley with this young and passionate team of Cliffhangers India. The number of cautions was followed for personal safety and the eco-friendly trail was brilliant feature. I am a solo traveller and this was first time I traveled with any organizer, totally worth it.